Case Study - Keeping air-shipped asparagus fresh with DuPont™ Tyvek™ Air Cargo Covers
Help protect your products and improve your bottom line
DuPont™ Tyvek™ air cargo covers are used by airlines, perishables distributors and 3PLs worldwide because they offer proven performance with real benefits from a trusted brand.
- Excellent protection against temperature excursions
- Breathable cover allows perishables to respire normally
- Protection from physical hazards while ensuring cold chain integrity
- USDA-approved packaging material for MeBr fumigation
Asparagus Field Trial — Performance Evaluation
Evaluate the effect of Tyvek™ air cargo covers on quality and shelf life for air-shipped fresh green asparagus from pack-out in South America through distribution and retail in the United States.
- Test sample – UK/US-sized pallet protected with a Tyvek™ air cargo cover – classic white
- Control sample – no protection, industry standard
- Product temperature, air temperature and humidity measured continuously at strategic locations within pallet from pack-out through distribution. Average temperature is reported.
- Product quality and shelf life assessed at points throughout journey from pack-out through retail.
- Product quality measured on 5-point scale at third-party lab based on length, weight and asparagus appearance. Appearance factors were: decay, compact/open tips, tip softness, and color.
- The use of DuPont™ Tyvek™ air cargo covers demonstrated an average reduction in peak temperatures of 8° to 9°C vs. control.
- The use of DuPont™ Tyvek™ air cargo covers maintained the desired high humidity environment during air transport by ensuring zero moisture loss. The uncovered product recorded a 1.5% product weight loss due to loss of relative humidity.
- The temperature and humidity management benefits of Tyvek™ air cargo covers delivered a 40% improvement in shelf life and substantially higher “as received” asparagus quality at the distribution centers and retail levels.
More information about DuPont™ Tyvek™ air cargo covers? Please contact Cargo Cover specialist Bart Verduin, by phone +31 76 50 40 268 or e-mail [email protected]